What is a memorized speech?


Question form Quora

Great question, Brendon,
Well, memorizing speeches never worked for me? During my first year with Tampa Toastmasters, I could not remember what I wrote.

My idol Barron Johnson, an ex-TV announcer, had everything it took to make a great Table Topic or pocket speech; I wanted to be just like him, haha?

The day was Black Friday, day after Thanksgiving ( big shopping day in the USA ) while mowing a 3-acre lawn, listening to talk radio, the topic was the crazy shoppers!

I thought what an excellent topic for a speech, so I started writing a speech in my head? Little did I know that out of the hundreds of speeches and Table Topics I was yet to give, I would only write on paper about 5.

Having also joined St. Petersburg Toastmasters, I was scheduled to speak at the following Monday and Tuesday meetings. Here I was in the two oldest clubs in Tampa Bay with memberships of over 40 members each. Now I was going to deliver my first non-written speech and never had wow a ribbon for best speaker, evaluator, or Table Topic.

And guess what? I was the best speaker both times.
Well, the best part was when Barron Johnson gave me his evaluation.

So were those memorized speeches, you decide, it is an option to writing then on paper?
The real truth is to speak as often as possible to groups, and the results will be amazing!
You can also find answers to many Quora questions on my blog: http://www.napkinsrooster.blogspot.com
York

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is learning social skills difficult, and does it take a long time? What are the most appropriate steps to learn to communicate? Does critical thinking have a role in social communication?

The Days of Dirt and Dust; back in the day, East Coast Motocross

David against Goliath!